Summer vacation is just around the corner. Three months filled with long, hot summer days, and countless hours of daylight to fill with activities to occupy the little ones in your life. Don’t let summer slip by indoors, in front of the television. Plan your family’s Summer Bucket List, and spend quality time with your kiddos before fall comes knocking and long summer days turn back into early mornings, after school activities, and spelling test quizzes. Here are five ‘Summer Bucket-List’ ideas to get you started:
1. Build a sandcastle. Take your family on a day trip to a local beach; come prepared with plastic molds, and even a flag for the top. Spend the day building a crafting the perfect sandcastle. Don’t forget the camera to capture the memory of the completed project, and to add to you ‘Bucket-List’ photo album.
2. Go to the zoo. Kids LOVE this activity. It’s a great way for the whole family to learn about new things, and for the kids to burn off energy while walking/running, or even scooting around. Bring a mini scooter along, and make the travel even more fun for the kids (and you).
3. Host a ‘Backyard Olympics.’ Brainstorm game ideas with your kids. Spend time making the rules, setting up, and thinking about prizes. You can even invite friends or neighbors to join the fun. Here are a few game ideas to get you started:
• Egg and Spoon Race
• Three Legged Race
• Mini scooter Race
4. Star Gazing. Set up camp in your own backyard. Print out different star constellations and gaze at the sky with your family and search for the big dipper. See who can spot what first. Build a fire and roast marshmallows while you’re at it!
5. Summer vacation is not complete without a trip to the local ice cream shop on foot. Walk, run, bike or scoot your way to an after dinner hot fudge sundae and watch your children’s faces light up.
Don’t waste any time getting started on your Summer Bucket List. Have your children get involved by asking each of them to come up with 5 summer activity ideas on their own. When the list is complete make a poster board, or print it out and hang it on the refrigerator. As activities are complete cross them off, and smile at all the happy memories you are making with your family.